Powered by Blogger.

15 June 2013

Tagged under: , ,

Venice: St Mark's Basilica, Campanile & Square, Clock Tower, Grand Canal, Bridge of Sighs & getting lost!



Selfie time.. Of course!

Another hot but nice day in Venice! Today we were going to go go St Mark's Square which has the Basilica, the Clock Tower and the Campanile. It was a nice stroll there. We decided to take our time because it was hot as (kinda can't wait to get back to Sydney with some cold weather!)

Canals on the way to St Mark's Square

Break time = Gelato time!

Local fruit & vege market


When we got there the piazza was a bit smaller that what I expected. St Mark's Basilica was also under renovation so the pics aren't that good either! We were planning to go into the Basilica but people with backpacks were getting knocked back. There is a free bag/locker service which was about a 5 min walk I would say to drop it off, and you can come back and skip the line. We decided not to go in because it was too much of a hassle, and plus you couldn't take any photos either!

The Basilica with scaffolding.. boooo

Inside St Mark's Square

Detail of the Basilica

Another view of the Square



The Campanile was there as well. It used to be an old lighthouse from what I read! With the heat, I didn't think that I could climb up all those steps so we decided not to do that either! The clock tower was just across the Campanile as well.

View with the Basilica & Campanile

The clock tower

Another view of the Campanile which we decided not to climb!


Next to the piazza, was the Grand Canal. It looked amazing, especially on a hot summers day. You could take a water taxi, a vaporetto, and even gondola rides! The whole time we were here, we were ummming and aahhing about if we should go on one or not. My senses are sensitive, and the smell (even when walking in the alleyways) got to me! So we decided not to do it. There were heaps of other people doing it though, so if it's your thing, I say do it! I'm kinda of glad that we didn't though!

Just like in the pictures!

We decided to continue roaming the alleyways of Venice. There's so much to see, and so much to find. So many good photo ops! We stumbled upon the Bridge of sighs. It's a very small enclosed bridge, but it was used for the prisoners before they went to jail. When they walked through it, they would sigh, as it would be their last view of Venice. Hence, that's where the bridge's name came from!

Selfie w/ the Bridge of Sighs in the background


Lee had a goal for me! The goal was to find our way back to our hotel with only one chance of looking at a map. I was scared because I'm so bad at this stuff! We were walking and walking. So funny, I though that we had led us back to our hotel but I led us back to St Mark's Square! It was the funniest thing ever! From then, I decided to look at a map. I did pretty well! I would say a half hour walk back took us an hour and a half! Haha it was fun though!

Since it was our last night in Venice, we decided to eat out again. Their fresh seafood produce is amazing, and so I tried to make the most of the seafood by ordering seafood again! I wasn't disappointed. Venice has the best food so far for me in Italy! Their prosecco (white wine) is nice and light too!

Next stop, Milan!

Until then,

-V

0 comments:

Post a Comment