Powered by Blogger.

13 June 2013

Tagged under: , ,

Florence: Cathedral & Baptistry, Giotto's Bell Tower & Accademia Art Gallery

Today was our last day to roam the streets of Florence. We didn't have a lot on today, so we took our time which was good. Walking around and finding places we've not seen is always fun!

We walked towards the Duomo (Cathedral) and you could see if from afar. When you get up close, the exterior is amazing! When you're right near it, it feels like it's about to eat you because that's how huge it is! The entrance is free, which is pretty good, but I think the exterior looks heaps better than the interior!


Beep beep!

The baptistry, cathedral & bell tower

Selfie!

Looks amazing!

The interior of the cathedral

The dome




You could also climb the Cathedral's dome, but we decided to climb Giotto's Bell Tower instead. It's 416 steps of heaven… not! Don't forget you still have to do the 416 steps back down haha. The climb was ok as you got to have a break every hundred steps. Swear my legs were burning after climbing up to the first pit stop! But we finally got there. I was so puffed out and I'm so unfit! The view was great (and so was the breeze!) We were up there for a while, taking in the view and trying to get our breath back! Mind you, the way back down is the same way up so there's people going up and down and it can get a bit squashy. I think it was worth it! 

This is what we climbed!

The baptistry from the first pit stop in the tower

Made it! Look at me sweating like a pig!

The view from above

The cathedral from above


Next stop, Accademia Art Gallery, where they hold Michelangelo's famous statue of David! Definitely need to reserve tickets because we were in line for about an hour (longer than the vatican!) I was so angry that these old ladies sneakily pushed in front of us. Couldn' t take it any longer so I told them off, and they pretended that they couldn't understand what I was saying, shrugged their shoulders and stayed in line. Then, the man behind me told them off to and said to go to the back of the line, and all of a sudden, she could speak English! The man didn't care, he just kept saying get to the back of the line. I thanked him cause he helped! If I didn't tell them off, they would have got in before us and we would have been waiting in the line longer!

Hahah funny postcards whilst waiting in line to the gallery

The museum itself is blah, there are a lot of religious paintings from Florence, but the reason why everyone goes is for David. Unfortunately you couldn't take photos. People were sneaking it in though but I wanted to respect that and not take any!

When you see David in the flesh, it is actually stunning. I never could understand how people could stare at an artwork for so long but with this one, you could. It was amazing! I can't explain it! i would say I was staring at him for about 15 minutes, then decided to have a seat which was facing his bum so I was staring at that for another 10 minutes! It was definitely worth the wait in line to see him!

Because you couldn't take photos, everyone was able to take photos with the duplicate that is made and is in Piazza Vecchio. Everyone was there taking photos and if you didn't want to line up or go to the Accademia Gallery, this is where you went. I got to do my funny shot. Yay!

Hello David!

Hahaha


Next stop, Venice!

Until then,

-V

0 comments:

Post a Comment