Powered by Blogger.

17 December 2012

Tagged under: ,

Getting lost in Beijing & finding Wanfujing Daije


Ok, so today was the day to chill and kinda get over our jetlag, so we decided to roam the streets of Beijing to see what we could find. And initially, we did get lost haha. We were trying to find Forbidden City but by the time we tried, it was already late in the afternoon for us to enter. So we decided to go back to the hotel. We did find a public map that helped us with our bearings and we finally figured it out! 

Walking back to the hotel we found a Sapporo bakery so we bought some bread (of course!) and it was cheap. I think it cost us 4 dollars for a whole heap of buns. Awesome!

Later on in the night we decided to go to the Wanfujing strip to see the lights. Wanfujing is pretty much the Times Square of Beijing. It was great, because there was shopping of course! haha. 

Wanfujing Pedestrian Street
The main attraction I think that's there is Wanfujing snack street. They sell heaps of food for dirt cheap. And when I say food, it was stuff like starfish, cicadas, tarantulas and scorpions! I mentally said that I was going to try some, but after seeing it in the flesh, I so got turned off! There was even LIVE scorpions.. yes still alive and that turned me off even more! I don't know how people can do it. So I was chicken and didn't go ahead with it!

Me standing at the front of Wanfujing Snack Street. The smells were amazing!

Yes, you read right!

You need to see it in the flesh to see what it looks like!

Top left, second tray is tarantulas! You can try to figure out what's on the rest of the trays!
I'm so thankful for the research that I do before hand! I read on a couple of sites that there was numerous scams where people target tourists. And all articles say to ignore youngish looking girls or even boys that can speak good English. They say that they come up and talk to you saying the need to practice their English and when you agree, they take you to a tea house which at the end of the day, you need to pay for which can be up to 2000 CNY (which is $300 AUD). Anyway, that happened to us when we were walking up the Wanfujing strip. As soon as I heard the guys voice with really good English, we totally ignored him! He tried to follow us for a bit, but ignoring them is the best thing to do!

Anyway, because we found our bearings today, we will be heading to Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square tomorrow. Yay!

-V

0 comments:

Post a Comment